KAMPALA: The Government spokesperson, Mr Ofwono Opondo, who doubles as the UMC executive director has told journalists that the former army spokesperson, Col. Shaban Bantariza died of Covid-19.
Bantariza, who was the deputy executive director of Uganda Media Centre (UMC) died Tuesday morning at Mulago National Referral Hospital where he had been admitted since Sunday.
“He died at about 2am this morning from Mulago hospital where he had been admitted in the Intensive Care Unit since Sunday,” Mr Opondo said.
Bantariza had been complaining of chest pain, low blood pressure, sugar and cough before he was admitted to hospital.
“He was first admitted in Mbuya Military Hospital on Friday from where he was taken to Victoria and then eventually transferred to Mulago after they had suspected he could have contracted Covid-19,” Mr Opondo added.
“His samples were tested and it was confirmed that he had contracted Covid-19.The postmortem has been done and it confirmed that he died of Covid-19,” Mr Opondo told journalists.
The NRM Secretary General, Justine Kasule Lumumba, in a statement issued by the party senior communications manager, Mr Roger Mulindwa said “Col. Bantariza has been a loyal member of the NRM government and the party which he has served till his death. On Thursday last week, he was part of the 47 eminent Ugandans appointed by the Party National Chairman to carry out the reconciliation programs among our members. His area of operation was Butaleja, Busia and Kibuku districts. His commitment on duty and the honesty will highly be valued even after his departure.”
After picking the necessary facilitation for the exercise, Bantariza later felt unwell to travel and sent back the resources, according to Mr Mulindwa.
“A few days later, we received the sad news. We feel, Col Bantariza has gone too early and at a time we needed him most. May God give him eternal rest and the family the strength to bear this great pain,” Mr Mulindwa,” statement adds.
Bantariza’s death occurred just hours after the Ministry of Health Monday said they had registered 114 new virus infections as the confirmed cases rose to 11,557.
The virus has claimed 101 Ugandans since March this year when the outbreak was confirmed in the country.
At least 7,351 have recovered and have been discharged from hospitals across the country, according to an October 26 update by the Ministry of Health.