The Director Basic and Secondary Education, Mr. Ismail Mulindwa has revealed that the ministry of education is considering promoting students in non-candidate classes, should they fail to get a chance to return to school before the end of the academic year.
Mulindwa while meeting MPs on the Education Committee said the ministry was set to roll out the enhanced home-study programme for effective learning for other learners that can lead to promotion to the next class in case the situation does not warrant reopening for all.
While giving his latest address on Covid-19, President Museveni said that the cabinet approved the re-opening of schools for candidates and finalists on October 15, 2020.
He also noted that there are some reasons that hinder private schools from re-opening since some schools were doing education as a business adding that the Ministry of Education has been directed to expand the number of secondary schools.
On Tuesday 22, the ministry released a new school calendar which will roll over into next year, confirming that schools will start on October 15th for the second term and close mid-December.
The Third Term, according to the new calendar will begin mid-January and end in April.
He says they have developed study materials through the National Curriculum Development Centre (NCDC) to cover the rest of the syllabus for each class.
According to Mulindwa, the first phase of continuity of learning under homeschooling was implemented for four weeks in May through radio, Television and printed self-study materials which focused on remedial work to consolidate the concept learners had already covered, before the closer in anticipation that education institutions would re-open soon.
He, however, said that since schools for non-candidates are still closed, the second phase of learning materials that are yet to be distributed will help learners’ complete the syllabus, something that will see them promoted to other classes.