The Acting Director of Communications at Parliament Hellen Kaweesa has confirmed 5 cases of coronavirus at the institution.
In a press statement dated September 4, Kaweesa noted that they carried out random testing for COVID-19 in parliament last week.
“The affected staff have been informed of their status and referred to the Ministry of Health. They are now undergoing treatment in the recommended health facilities,” said Kaweesa.
She revealed that the precincts of Parliament will be disinfected on Saturday, September 5, 2020 and the numbers of staff will be further scaled down with immediate effect.
“The other staff who were in contact with the affected have been identified and advised to stay home in self quarantine,” she said.
She added that ,”if they develop any signs and symptoms,they have been advised to contact the parliament doctor immediately who will liaise with the ministry of health to have them tested,”
According to Kaweesa, the identified contacts will also be subject to mandatory testing after two weeks whether they exhibit signs or not.