The National Water and Sewerage Corporation (NWSC) is putting final touches to the Hoima Water Production Improvement Project meant amplify water access for Hoima City residents and dwellers.
The Project, which was designed in-house and is financed using internally generated revenue from customers who pay bills promptly, will serve over 130,000 people and improve water supply from the current 2.5m liters of water per day to 6m.
The Hoima City Water Project Scope can be summarized as follows:
- Construction of the aerators, rapid sand filters, pump station, and staff house.
- Drilling and development of 2No. Boreholes and renovation and improvement of the existing boreholes sites, including electrical lighting, plumbing works, and connection to the existing system.
- Laying of a new raw water and treated water pipelines.
- Supply and installation of 1No. Reservoir tank.
- Supply and installation of new treated water pumps and their associated electromechanical installations.
- Remodification and rehabilitation of the Area office building, existing staff house, laboratory and stores.
- Treatment plant site work improvements, including; drainage works, walkways, electrical lighting and plumbing works.
While inspecting the works, a few days ago, the NWSC MD Dr. Eng. Silver Mugisha tasked the contractor to complete the project works by September 2022. “I task you to fast track the works and serve our people urgently. I will not accept any delays,” he stated.
Dr. Mugisha added that the Corporation is working to boost water supply reliability in the new cities including Hoima. “More works are being implemented across the country in a number of towns namely Gulu, Arua, Nebbi, Masindi, Hoima, Mbarara, Isingiro, Bushenyi, Lira, Masaka and Kasese among many other towns” the MD stated.
Yet more ought to be expected including boosting water production capacity to 7m liters of water per day. That will amount to appropriately responding to the current demand of water in the booming oil City.
The other previously completed water works include the construction of Kijwenge reservoirs and subsequently improvement of water supply to Kyesiga, Budaka, Kiduuma and Bujuura Wards 2 Kyarwabuyamba and surrounding areas.
When it comes to rehabilitation of existing systems, alot has equally been accomplished including the commissioning of the new Kikwite Transmission main; upgrading of Bakumira hill, the construction of new reservoirs in Mpaijja; the development of water production walls; the installation of pump sets and Generator House and as well as the upgrading of Mparo distribution main.
Other water supply interventions for Hoima Area during the same FY2021/2022 include:
- Laying 13.6Km of water mains to serve Businsi, Kibati, Kyakapeya, Dwoli, Katasiha Fort, Kijogo and Kasingo.
- Laying 2.5 Km of water mains to serve Rwenkobe, Kyarwabuyamba & Kaibalya villages.
- Laying 2.09 Km of water mains to Katuugo – Mpaija, Kasingo ward, Mpaija & Kihukya ward.
- Laying 1.5Km of water mains in Kyedikyo to Mparo all aimed at improving supply along Kampala-Masindi road.