KAMPALA: High court in Kampala has ruled that Kampala tycoon, Mohan Musisi Kiwanuka is a sober man, intelligent with a sense of humour and capable of running and managing his business empire, contrary to lies by one of his children greedy Jordan Ssebuliba who said the tycoon was mentally sick and therefore could not run his properties. The greedy son, Sebuliba, had wanted to take control of his father’s estate by peddling lies in the media and to court.
Ssebuliba’s petition to court, dated August 26, 2019, was on Friday quashed by Justice Musa Sekana of the Civil Division of High Court. Sekana made the judgement after evaluating evidence seeking courts permission to run a mandatory test on Mzee Musisi Kiwanuka’s mental state.
Ssekana interacted with Mzee Kiwanuka for about 40 minutes and found out that the tycoon is sober and intelligent with a sense of humor who can be relied on in anyway and still capable of running his estate and business.
Greedy Sebuliba had requested court to take Kiwanuka to Butabika claiming he had mental health issues and but also wanted to be appointed as the director to the father’s businesses.
The chaeating son Ssebuliba says he took the decision after observing the goings-on in the family estate. He claimed that his stepmother, Maria Kiwanuka, recently breached her fiduciary duties by taking advantage of his father’s deteriorating condition to seize control of the assets.
The judge Ssekana found no reason to interfere with Kiwanuka’s life or running of his businesses which he has built over the last 40 years.
Judge Ssekana found out that the letter allegedly presented by Jordan over the health status of his father, Kiwanuka, was inconsistent as the medical doctor who was believed to have written it disowned it, shaming greedy Jordan.
The judge found that the colonial law that provides for forceful medical examination and forcible takeover of a person’s life, liberty and assets is glaringly is outdated whereas the action is forbidden by the 1995 constitution and the modern international convention which guarantee the freedom of human rights against torture, cruelty, degrading and inhuman treatment before the law.
Kiwanuka, the husband of former Finance minister Maria Kiwanuka, is the owner of multiple businesses and properties in Uganda, including Oscar Industries ltd, Radio One and Radio 2 (Akaboozi Kubiri) among other companies and properties in and outside Kampala.
He has two wives Maria Kiwanuka and first wife Beatrice Kiwanuka, mother of greedy Sebuliba who wanted to use court to grab Kiwanuka’s properties.
According to Kiwanuka, Sebuliba who is fighting to grab his property while still alive is not his biological son. “I just adopted him and raised him as my son. I even took him to good schools, including to a University in UK from where he studied his law degree.
“On his return, he failed to get a job and I got him one. I even funded his wedding. But he is not my son, his mother, and then a secretary in one of the offices in Entebbe sired him from her boss, a westerner. When I suggested to his mother that we take him to a DNA test, she began quarrelling. I told her it was okay. I decided to raise him just like a true Muganda,” Kiwanuka said recently in an interview.
Jordan Sebuliba 40, was born by Beatrice Kavuma, Mohan Kiwanuka’s first wife with four other siblings from his mother.
It is Kiwanuka put all his children including Sebuliba on a retainer where he gives each $3,000 (about Shs11million) every month for their upkeep.
Kiwanuka now says he doesn’t want any of his children siding with Sebuliba to come near him because they will be dealing with a wrong blood that is trying to threaten the family into a break up and eventually collapse the legacy and Kiwanuka’s strong empire.
“If they have taken me to court over my own property, then they are capable of doing anything to me.” Kiwanuka speaks loud hope is heard?
Through Fides Legal Advocates, Kyamukungubya contends that his father is of sound mind and that Ssebuliba is greedy and dishonest.
“No special procedures have ever been taken to determine his Mohan’s] mental capacity to run his businesses and I know this is another of the applicant’s [Ssebuliba] schemes to grab property…,” reads part of the affidavit.
The legal battle is still unfolding and, for now, the verdict id made and history is written that Mzee Kiwanuka is a sober minded gentleman capable of running and managing his business empire and family affairs without any help as allegedly filed by his greedy son Jordan Ssebuliba.
According to court documents, Kiwanuka has over 46 properties including Oscar Industries, Radio 1 and Radio 2 (Akaboozi ku Biri), and real estate investments that includes residential and commercial properties in Kololo, Naguru, Nakasero, Nakawa and Kiwatule.
The properties are listed as below.
1. UNIPLUS LTD
2. UCAN LTD
3. CENTRAL TRUST LTD
4. CENTRAL HOLDINGS LTD
5. MEGATRUST LTD
6. SUMMIT GROUP LTD
7. UNIGROUP LTD
8. JJAJA ESTATES LTD
9. VISA INVESTMENTS LTD
10. KIWATULE ESTATES LTD
11. BWERENGA ESTATES LTD
12. PRIME ESTATES LTD
13. SUMMIT LTD
14. SUMMIT ESTATES LTD
15. POKINO PROPERTIES LTD
16. BUDGET FREIGHT LTD
17. CITY TRAVEL LTD
18. CITY TREK LTD
19. METROLINK LTD
20. ROADLINK LTD
21. STARWAYS LTD
22. JOBCO LTD
23. JOBHOUSE LTD
24. CITY TRADE LTD
25. VISA SERVICES LTD OSCAR INDUSTRIES LTD
26. VISA PLASTICS LTD
27. VISA PRESS LTD
28. PREPRESS SERVICES LTD
29. METRO SERVICES LTD
30. RADIO ONE LTD
31. RADIO TWO LTD
32. KOLOLO RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION LTD
Kiwanuka’s properties listed in court documents
1. Plot 1, Malcom X Avenue, Kololo
2. Plot 2 Impala Avenue, Kololo
3. Plot 2 Jinja Road
4. Block 577 Plot 6 Sonde
5. Plot 8 Water Lane Naguru
6. Plot 9, Summit View, Kololo
7. Plot 11, Tagore Crescent
8. FRV414 Folio 22 Plot 14, Ngabo Road, Kololo
9. LRV612 Folio 9 Plot 14 Ngabo Road, Kololo
10. Plot 15 Prince Charles Drive, Kololo
11. Plot 1 Nyanza Crescent, Kololo
12. Plot 17 Elizabeth Avenue Kololo
13. Plot 18 Philip Road Kololo
14. Plot 19 Elizabeth Avenue Kololo
15. Plot 21 Elizabeth Avenue, Kololo
16. Plot 22A Kawalya Kagwa Close, Kololo
17. Plot 24 Block 577Plot 25 Kitante Road
18. Plot 26 Impala Avenue
19. Plot 27 Kitante Road
20. Plot 32 Kampala Road
21. Kyadondo Block 220(Plots 97,161,168,169,185,367368) Kiwatule
22. Busiro 413(Plots 1750,1751,1757,1758
23. Plot 10 A Akii Bua Road, Nakasero
24. Plot 10B, Akii Bua Road, Nakasero
25. Plot 11A, 11F, 13A Ridgeway Drive Kololo
26. Plot 18 Kawalya Kagwa Close, Kololo
27. Plots 18A, 18B, 18C, Kawalya Kagwa Close, Kololo
28. Plot 18B, Akii Bua Road, Nakasero
29. LRV3370 Folio 22 Plot 18, Akii Bua Road, Nakasero
30. Plots 21-29 Golf Course Road, Kololo
31. Plots 239-299 & 301-441 Nakawa Industrial Area
32. Plot 27B, Ridgeway Drive, Kololo
33. Plot 29A, Ridgeway Drive, Kololo
34. Plot 42A, Upper Kololo Terrace
35. Plot 42B, Upper Kololo Terrace
36. Plot 5B, Elizabeth Avenue, Kololo
37. Plot 9A-9D Ridgeway Drive, Kololo
38. Plot M218 Nakawa Industrial Area
39. Plot M244 Ntinda Industrial Area
40. Plot M583 Coronation Avenue
41. Plot M584 Coronation Avenue
42. Block 38, Plot 112 Wandegeya,
43. Plot 40A Windsor Crescent, Kololo
44. Plot 40B Windsor Crescent, Kololo
45. Plot 40B Upper Kololo Terrace
46. Plot 18 Elizabeth Avenue, Kololo